Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My First and Possibly Last Foray into Graphic Novel Making

In our Graphic Form For Illustrators Class we received an assignment last Wednesday to do a one page comic about our day in time for class last night.

Now as I had never even opened a Graphic Novel (shocking amongst the Illustration department) this was a somewhat intimidating challenge.

I struggled to come up with something to do my comic about and tried to think of awkward or embarrassing situations I have been through and settled on doing it about my first and last experience with a professional massage.
I decided to do this on scratchbord ( Ninth Grade Flasbacks anyone?? ) and it turned out to be pretty fun, scratching away the black to reveal white is a sort of backwards way to work but the tactile experience is pretty satisfying.
The result isn't too shabby considering the lack of planning but it could definitely use a lot of work.

I also discovered some pretty cool graphic novels that overcame my mental stereotype of them ( I read like three over the weekend --nerd alert )

Now in this class we've all been assigned one of sentences The Mysteries of Harris Burdick which is a really awesomely illustrated book and an even more interesting story.

Just like the illustrator we are all supposed to illustrate our own interpretation of the mysterious sentences that were left behind by Harris Burdick. Mine is "THE THIRD-FLOOR BEDROOM -- It all began when someone left the window open."

this is the illustration that is in the published book
this assignment is also due on monday, I hope I can come up with something clever in time along with all my other work including my internship application for the summer which I must mail by the end of the week. (and my birthday!!!)

that's all for now.

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha i love that comic! i tried making one the other day about an awkward experience of my own...when i was in the bathroom during class and a girl from my class that rather resembles rodney came in, huff-puffed her way through whatever she was doing in her stall, and then, horrors of horrors, happened to peek INTO my stall when i was peeking out trying to see who it was that needed to do deep breathing exercises to take a piss. mortifying.
    also...i'm fairly positive the graphic novels you read must have been hers, but on the off chance they weren't, borrow claire's. they're all good

    ReplyDelete